Still looking for a low-carb dessert for your Christmas? Try this one…
Low Carb Nut-Free Crust
1 cup (2 sticks of butter melted and cooled)
4 large eggs
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ cups coconut flour
¼ baking powder
1 tablespoon of water
1. Mix all the ingredients of the low carb crust just until dough forms.
2. Divide dough in half to make the top and bottom of the pie crust.
3. Roll out with between two sheets of parchment paper. Set aside.
4. Transfer one crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Being careful to smooth out any cracks.
5. Once you add the filling to the pie and the top crust.
1 ½ cups of berries (I used mulberries)
2 tablespoons of sugar substitute (I used Swerve)
1 8 ounce package of room temperature neufchâtel cream cheese or regular cream cheese
Many people miss such items as apple pie after going low carb. Hilda shows you here what she does with the mulberries from her mum’s tree in the garden. In Scotland you can use brambles in the autumn that you can pick for nothing. Now you know the secret of the pie crust you can experiment. I wouldn’t use mincemeat as in our Christmas pies though as that is too sugary for a low carb diet.
Pre-heat oven to 350
1. Place half the rolled low carb dough into a 9-inch pie pan.
2. Spread the cream cheese to the bottom of the crust.
3. Add the berries that have been mixed with the 2 tablespoons of sugar substitute over the cream cheese layer.
4. Top the pie with the other half of the rolled-out dough. Make sure to add vents to the top of the crust.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until the topping is lightly brown.
6. Allow to cool before slicing.
7. Store in the refrigerator.