February is almost at an end – as it the season for many fruit and vegetables we associated with this time of year.
Nevertheless, we’ve done a round-up of what’s in season at the moment. If you eat seasonally, you get food at its best. It also means less food miles, as the food can be produced in the UK and has therefore not had to travel as far to get to your plate.
- Clementines (coming to the end of their season)
- Pears (coming to the end of their season)
- Brussel sprouts
- Purple sprouting broccoli
Meat and fish
If you want some recipe ideas for what to do with what’s in season, you could try:
- Mediterranean trout with kale. Swap the trout for salmon, if you prefer.
- Creamy leeks. This is a great side dish to have with roast chicken – or turkey, if we’re continuing the seasonal theme.
- Cauliflower cheese. Add some purple sprouting broccoli for colour. Or you could make these cauliflower cheese ‘steaks’ – perfect for wintry days.
- Braised celeriac. Great with sausages.
- Turkey curry, with spinach for added goodness.