Orange Roasted Chicken
- Zest of 5 bergamot oranges (or ordinary oranges if you can’t get them)
- 1 cup bergamot orange juice
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped herb mixture (rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- ¼ cup butter, softened and room temperature
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 bergamot orange, cut into thick slices for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Herb sprigs for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine half of the orange zest with the orange juice, garlic, herbs and olive oil. (Set aside the remaining zest for later.)
- Stir to combine and pour into a very large zip-lock bag. Add the chicken pieces and move them around to ensure they’re all coated with the marinade.
- Seal the bag and place into a bowl (in case it leaks) and then into the refrigerator to marinate for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter with the paprika and the remaining orange zest.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the bag and place them in a 9 X 13 X 2-inch baking dish. (Set aside the marinade in the bag.)
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and then using your hands rub the butter mixture under the skin of each chicken piece and on top of the skin.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the orange slices. Place the baking dish in the oven and roast the chicken until it’s cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Baste the chicken several times during cooking.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
From Jovina Cooks Italian.
1 thought on “Jovina Cooks Italian: Orange Roasted Chicken”
I can taste this already …
Looks a very nice recipe idea, and I love chicken cooked with skin on!
All the best Jan