This is a great recipe if you miss plain chocolate bounty bars. These are still produced but difficult to find in shops. Our version is low carb too! Sadly mine never seem to resemble the commercial product. I dread to say what they do look like, but if you recall the swimming pool scene from the film Caddyshack, you’ll get the idea…
Tropical Chocolate Bars
- 100ml Zsweet or sweetener of your choice (taste the mixture)
- 50 g coconut oil
- 100ml double cream
- 100ml coconut milk (preferably organic coconut milk from Blue Dragon because of the low carbohydrate value)
- 200 g desiccated coconut
- 100 g of chocolate with high cocoa content (> 70%) Lidl’s is good for this
- Carefully, in a saucepan, melt coconut and sweetener.
- Add the coconut milk, cream, grated coconut and let it simmer. Stir well and leave in the fridge for about an hour.
- Shape the mixture into 12-14 cylindrical pieces.
- Put the pieces in the freezer and leave for one hour.
- Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip the coconut bars in the melted chocolate.
- Place in the freezer to cool, then store in the fridge.