Here is another recipe for low-carb bread. As we’ve said before, we reckon bread is one of the things people really miss when they embark on a low-carb lifestyle so having some replacement recipes up your sleeve is really handy…
One of the other bonuses about low-carb bread is that it lasts longer than ordinary, home-made bread. You can keep it in the fridge or bread bin, or slice it up and freeze it.
For two loaves:
- 6 cups ground almonds (600g)
- 125g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon almond essence (can be left out)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, or 180 C
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and marscapone. Add the almond essence if using.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, baking soda and powder and salt. Add the eggs to the wet ingredients, then add the ground almonds a large spoonful at a time with the mixer going.
- Grease two loaf pans (about 4 x 8 inches) generously with butter or spray with non-stick cooking oil . Spoon the batter into the pans, smoothing the top.
- Bake at 350 F or 180C for 50-60 min until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Run a spatula around the sides of the pan, pressing gently against the loaf to loosen at the corners and bottom of the pan.
- Wrap in tin foil. You can freeze these for weeks. Take out the night before you intend to use it. This bread is particularly good toasted.
- Each loaf yields 6 thick slices.
CHO per slice – 6g
Most people have their own favourite bread or toast toppings, but here are some ideas…
- Half a ripe avocado, mashed up with a little lemon juice, salt and chilli.
- Cream cheese topped with smoked salmon.
- Peanut butter and sliced cucumber (it sounds weird, but the cucumber cuts through the richness and mouth-claggy feel of the peanut butter).
- Butter and reduced sugar fruit spread.
- Cheese spread and chopped ham.
- A little smoked mackerel mashed up with cream cheese and a little horseradish sauce for bite.
Check out the Diabetes Diet for lots more low-carb recipes to help you achieve good health and good blood sugar control. Almond picture thanks to Wikipedia.