Low Carb Pecan Shortbread Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 ¼ cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 ½ cups of finely ground almond flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup of coarsely chopped pecans (you may omit or substitute other nuts of your choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or leave un-greased.
- In a stand-up mixer cream the butter, sugar substitute and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Add the almond flour, sea salt, baking powder and blend till mixed. Once combined add the chopped pecans and mix again.
- Spread the dough in a 10×10 square pan or drop cookie dough by spoonful’s onto a ungreased cookie sheet. Place pan or cookie sheet in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes. This will ensure that the cookie has the traditional crisp texture in shortbread.
- I like to score and add fork tine marks on my bars before placing in the oven to allow for easy cutting afterwards. This is not necessary if you are making individual cookies.
- Bake in a 325 degrees’ oven until they are lightly golden brown about 25-30 minutes
- Allow the shortbread cookies to cool before eating and storing.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies at 2.5 net carbs per cookie