Italian Style Meatloaf
This dinner can serve 8. Less and you have plenty of leftovers. I add lots of vegetables to my meatloaf and, of course, lots of Italian flavors. Meatloaf freezes well and I usually cut extra slices off the loaf to freeze individually to use at a later date. Just defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
· Half a sweet onion, finely chopped
· 1 celery rib, finely chopped
· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
· 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
· 1/2 cup shredded carrot
· 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
· 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
· 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
· 2 cups tomato (marinara) sauce, divided
· 2 pounds lean ground beef (I use grass-fed beef)
· 1 cup Italian flavored dried bread crumbs
· 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
· 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
· 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, vegetables, bread crumbs, 1 cup of the tomato sauce, seasonings and parsley with your hands until thoroughly mixed.
Form into a loaf and put into a rectangular baking pan with 2-inch high sides.
Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 1 hour. Pour the remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce over the meatloaf and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
Return the dish to the oven just until the cheese melts.