Aubergines with Tomato and Parmesan
- 3 large aubergines
- 250g (9oz) freshly grated parmesan
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Small amount of flour (if you can get away with it)
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- 1 x 700g jar passata
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- Cut aubergine lengthways into 1cm slices and immerse in cold water for 1 min, then drain and pat dry. Season the eggs with salt.
- Dust the aubergines with flour then dip in egg. Heat a film of olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry aubergines in batches until golden on each side, add more oil as necessary. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside. Heat oven to200C/180fan/gas6.
- Fry garlic in the olive oil over a low heat for a couple of minutes then add tomato passata and basil leaves. Simmer for 15-20 min then season to taste.
- Spread 2-3 tblsp of sauce over the base of a 10” x 8” baking dish or tin. Cover with a layer of aubergine, more sauce, a few basil leaves and plenty of parmesan. Repeat until the ingredients are used up, finishing with tomato sauce and parmesan. Bake for 20 min until golden and bubbling. Leave to stand for 5 min or so, then serve as a starter or accompaniment.