This is my very easy take on cauliflower cheese making the most of pre-prepared supermarket ingredients.
Easy Cauliflower Cheese
- Frozen cauliflower florets (or prepare from fresh) equivalent of one cauliflower
- Frozen chopped onions (or prepare from fresh) one handful
- Lazy garlic (or prepare from fresh) one teaspoon
- 250mls double (heavy) cream
- Pre-grated mature cheddar cheese (or grate yourself) 3/4 of a bag
- English mustard (or use French if preferred for a milder flavour) one teaspoon
- White pepper ground one teaspoon
- 1-2 oz unsalted butter
- Put on the oven at 190 degrees.
- Put cauliflower in the microwave to cook. Add some water to a microwavable pot and seal with lid or cling film.
- Cook as directed or around 7-9 minutes. Check for firmness. Cook as you like either firm or sloppy or somewhere in between.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and brown.
- Take off the heat and add the double cream.
- Add the pepper and mustard and stir.
- Add the grated cheese and stir (leave some cheese over).
- Drain the cooked cauliflower and put in a Pyrex bowl or similar oven-proof dish. Pour over the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle on the remaining grated cheese and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Goes well with sliced meats, especially ham.